Focused On The Solution . . .
In my transactional practice, I draw on my 15 years of legal experience in many disciplines along with my prior professional experience, to develop proactive solutions for clients. By examining the past and present, I help the client identify potential future issues so that we can plan now, rather than merely respond later. Preventive law is both more efficient and effective, as well as more responsible. Short-term objectives and problems are folded into long-term planning. This is simply applying the old saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure to the practice of law. I simply expand the horizon of possibilities to include special planning for the clients’ unique circumstances. This is true across the spectrum of my practice, including business formation, business life-cycle management, business transactions, real estate transactions, and estate planning.
The same plays true in my litigation practice. You will hear many attorneys talk about their love of litigation. Quite frankly, I hate litigation because it is physically, mentally, and emotionally draining on the client, me, and the court system. It is oftentimes inefficient, ineffective, imprudent, and impulsive. I do not avoid litigation for the sake of avoiding litigation. Instead, I avoid litigation when it is not in the best interests of the client, the case, the objectives, and will, at the end of the day, likely place my client in a worse position than where they began.
My experience in litigation consistently tells me to pick my battles wisely and not make litigation choice number one. Then again, sometimes we have no choice. We either must file a lawsuit in order to accomplish an objective, or my client has been named as a defendant, or our efforts at mediation and negotiation have failed. Under these circumstances, I have extensive experience in litigating cases throughout Riverside, San Diego, Orange, Imperial, San Bernardino and Los Angeles counties. I presently, however, only take litigation matters in Riverside, San Bernardino, and Imperial Counties. I work closely with my clients in litigated matters to set realistic expectations.
If someone else were to describe me as an attorney, I would like to think that they would say the following:
- Experienced — My background as an attorney and professional experience have developed into an appreciation of what is truly required to accomplish a set of objectives and how to implement the strategies to accomplish those objectives. I believe that litigation under most circumstances can and should be avoided. At times, however, litigation is the first and only choice available and under those circumstances choosing the right litigator is essential. At other times, however, litigation is the choice of last resort, and a rush to the courthouse could prove extremely detrimental to one’s position, legally and financially. My experience allows me to navigate the world of business, real estate, and estate planning with the seasoned ability to focus on the crucial issues for my clients.
- Dedicated — If you choose me as your attorney, I will be dedicated to you from an advocacy perspective, from a preventative law perspective, and from a personal perspective. I take prudent and comprehensive steps at the outset of any estate plan, business deal or real estate transaction to avoid future litigation where possible, to place contingencies should any conflicts arise, and to proactively meet my clients present and future needs. The law often requires scalpel-like precision while at other times requiring a hammer. I understand the intricacies of each method and recognize when either option will be useful or counterproductive.
- Determined — As your legal counsel, I can only be effective if I have the same determination to succeed as you. I am determined to understand your goals and work closely with you to learn your dreams and aspirations. I operate a personal and attentive office, that enables us to address your legal needs at a granular level now and in the future, while never losing sight of the overall goals and objectives. When you retain the Law Offices of Matthew J. Hunter, we commit to detailed planning and precise implementation of strategies designed for your success. You should expect nothing less.
Core Legal Services
Our Palm Springs law practice addresses the needs of businesses and individuals. Our main areas of focus are:
- Real estate — We represent landowners, commercial and residential landlords, commercial and residential tenants, buyers and sellers, brokers, real estate agents, and mobile home parks, in a variety of real estate transactions, evictions, and court/arbitration actions.
- Business law — From the formation of your business, through the life of your company, we provide reliable business advice and counsel and work to resolve any issues in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Estate planning — Our emphasis on developing well-thought-out strategies pays dividends for our estate planning clients, who are looking to protect their assets and pass them efficiently to their heirs, while also providing for their own well being in the future. A well thought out estate plan can prove essential.
- Civil litigation — While preventive law may avoid many causes for litigation, certain disputes are inevitable and sometimes lead to litigation. Our practice encompasses negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation of cases arising from business, real estate, landlord-tenant, wills and trusts, personal injury claims and employment discrimination matters, among others. If you are considering legal action or are facing litigation, give me a call, I might be able to help.
- Probate & Trust Administration — Probate and Trust Administration oftentimes require the guidance of a seasoned attorney. Navigating the world of probate or trust administration without proper guidance can be problematic because of the many pitfalls that await.
Contact our Palm Springs law firm for comprehensive legal service
For experienced management of all your legal needs, trust the Law Offices of Matthew J. Hunter. We are conveniently located at 2825 E. Tahquitz Canyon Way, Suite 202, Palm Springs, California 92262. Call (760) 600-5796 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.